On Monday, December 2nd, 2019, Utah International Mountain Forum (UIMF) – a coalition of student clubs at Utah Valley University (UVU) – will host 10th annual International Mountain Day (IMD) at UVU. The event will take place from 10:00am to 12:00pm at room LA 116 (International Student Office). The main theme of this year’s IMD is “Mountains matter for Youth”.
Main contributors to the IMD 2019 are:
- Dr. Lago, CIO/Vice-Rector at UVU on Global Engagement;
- Dr. Rusty Butler, Main Representative at UN, Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, an NGO in General Consultative Status with ECOSOC;
- Ms. Wendy Jyang, President, Utah China Friendship Improvement Sharing Hands Development and Commerce, an NGO in Special Consultative Status with ECOSOC and
- Mr. Uday Teki, Founder, and CEO, Project Work Groups (PWG).
Student speakers during IMD 2019 will include:
- Mr. Samuel Elzinga, UIMF President,
- Mr. Michael Hinatsu, UIMF Vice President
- Ms. Lacee Meyer UIMF Vice President
Speakers will talk about student advocacy for mountain communities during the 63rd and upcoming 64th sessions of the Commissions on the Status for Women and 68th UN Civil Society Conference in Salt Lake City during August 26-28, 2019.
The event will be hosted by UIMF members through a student engaged learning model, when club members under faculty mentorship are actively involved as a group in the advocacy of mountain communities’ issues and promotion of Sustainable Development Goals in cooperation with private entities and governmental organizations.
Viktoriia Bahrii, Vice President for Logistics, Utah International Mountain Forum (UIMF),